My first post is a project I am doing for a friend and colleague of mine. They wanted a mural in their living room. This is a challenging project for me since I have only done one other mural in my life. The first mural I worked on was a team effort where we painted english garden flowers on all four walls of a huge church fellowship hall. I must have done that project before cameras were invented because I have no pictures of it. Recently I found out that they have dry-walled that entire room thereby hiding away my first mural until 300 years from now when the post-apocalyptic archaeologists dig it from the rubble.
I will probably have several posts of this project since I have been taking pictures of each step. The Plympton’s wanted to create 3 faux archways that appear to look out at a beautiful garden scene, so the first step was to take measurements of the wall and then I did what I often do when I am
trying to figure something out… what any Art Geek with NERD SKILLS would do… I modeled the wall and arches in AutoCAD.
Using the geometry in the CAD model, I configured the arches on the wall using a tape measure, T-square, level and string.
Since we (the clients and I) were working from several references to build the final scene with, I then drafted a scaled down version of the wall in my
sketch book and produced a pencil rough of the scene. Once the design was approved I applied a grid to the sketch scene so I could transfer the scene to the arches on the wall.
Next time I will post more pictures of the work-in-progress.