Plympton Mural, Part 2

 So the first image is the wall right after the arches had been transferred and masked off.  Then I applied primer inside the arches and after the primer had dried it made perfect sense to construct the enlargement grid – which is about the time that I realized how nervous I was about this project.  After determining that it would work best to paint from the background forward, I promptly painted over most of the enlargement grid with sky, water and grass.

After the enlargement grid was re-traced it was time for the real fun to begin!  What followed was hours of mixing colors, applying the color, FREAKING OUT, and re-mixing the color to try that again.  Finally the background was forming and I was picking up some  momentum.  Now that the project was about 1/3rd of the way finished I started to feel like I had a plan that was working.  Then I hit the first snag…

The scene has a white farm house sitting on a hill in the background.  The first time the house was blocked onto the hill it seemed too big.  It was a Saturday and I had some other stuff to take care of at home, so I asked Larry and Nancy (the clients) to look it over through the rest of the weekend and let me know how they felt next time I came out.  We agreed that the house was too big so I had to concoct a way to shave it down.

This image shows the house in progress after it was reduced.  The weird color blotches show how I used the tree color behind the house to push the edges inward, making the house smaller.

Next week I will share about the highly intimidating process of painting the water in the lake.

This entry was posted in Fine Art and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.